Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 3 weeks 6 days ago #161787

• Vader
  • Tang
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the reference, I'll definitely check them out.

After going through my inventory of tanks, I really don't have anything that would maximize the area inside the stand, so I purchased this acrylic sump from BRK. Once that gets in, I'll place my skimmer in it and start working on the plumbing. I've been searching sites to get an idea of what rate of GPM is recommended for the tank's internal plumbing and I'm not really finding anything because the web-site from the tank manufacture doesn't give any suggestions. However I'm not worried about it, I have several submersible pumps with a variety of GPM's from my old system and I'll connect them up one at a time to see what kind of flow I get and go from there. I understand there's going to be some trial n error before I get it the way I want it...part of the fun of building a system.

Tankless at the moment
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 3 weeks 6 days ago #161789

• ldballoon4
  • Wrasse
  • Thank you received: 68
Nice Trigger sump! ( had a 30 Elite). Deep blues are 500-600 gallon Max rated for return pumps. They have an adjustable back weir to help compensate noise and flow. I had a 60 cube a while back and went with a Tunze 1073.050 dc (variable) return pump.
You can always email Deep Blue customer service for more info on the best rated pump for the tank. Shop around. DC return pumps are the way to go IMO. They are low wattage, have controllability and you can back up battery the flow in case of a power crash.
It's just money...go ahead, spend it.

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 3 weeks 6 days ago #161790

• Hatrix11
  • Damsel
  • Thank you received: 10
Love the cube. BRS is doing a study on ultra low maintenance (ULM) tanks using a cube build that you might want to check out.
I have a dc pump and its nice to control the flow. I have a Ruby sump and its great!

-Matt

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 3 weeks 4 days ago #161791

• rgulrich
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 62
B) Woo hoo! Reef time!
Let us know when you want something to throw into it! :silly:
Cheers,
Ray
Ray U
300 gallon Deep Dimension/360 degree walk-around living room reef

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 1 week 6 days ago #161855

• Vader
  • Tang
  • Thank you received: 3
haha...Thanks man!

It's been a while since my last update, work is killing me here in DC with all the frozen pipes breaking. However, my sand and sump arrived couple weeks ago and sitting in a corner. I've ordered several fittings/ball valves because the bulkhead fittings that came with the tank are socket/barbed (hose) and I'm changing that up to socket/socket so all I have is hard pipe under the tank, plus it'll keep it clean and simple.

I'm looking to bring up my make up water from the half basement where the RODI will be set up along with my mixing tanks and carbon filters. I have two 15 gallon tanks where I can store RODI water and premixed salt water. The salt water storage tank will have a small submersible pump inside so when I'm performing water changes, all I have to do is open one valve to drain the system and open another valve to fill the system. No buckets for me!

Still looking at lighting options but I'm hoping to have the plumbing system completed/tested by March and hopefully add a few small things to get the biological cycle started.

- Steve
Tankless at the moment

Steve's 60G Rimless Tank Build 1 week 6 days ago #161859

• ldballoon4
  • Wrasse
  • Thank you received: 68
Good set up for sure, Steve. I hate buckets! Share some pics if you can to share with the rest of the club. Thanks!
It's just money...go ahead, spend it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds