87769070c3d185e9b41b6b0ec9f1346b.jpg
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 8 months 1 week ago #161401

• ldballoon4
  • Wrasse
  • Thank you received: 81
Well, so, did you have a grounding probe? in/ out of the tank? The controller getting hit sounds pretty bad. Sorry to hear this!
We are not out of the woods yet for severe weather. Hopefully the month of August will revert to kindness. :whistle:
Poor doggies!
It's just money...go ahead, spend it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 8 months 1 week ago #161403

• cadillacmike
  • Blenny
  • Thank you received: 33
damn you to hell mother natur!.god bless the reef gods for not making it worse
The following user(s) said Thank You: ldballoon4

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 4 months 3 weeks ago #161637

• rgulrich
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 64
So, my seasonal what parameters shift hit yet again (calcium and dKh both drop as my evap rate drops), and I've finally broken down and picked up another calcium reactor. Hardness hit 6 dKh and my Ca was below 240. Doh! :pinch:

This time I've added a Korallin 3002, and I'm pretty much watching the coral grow before my eyes. Sigh. :blush: I really should have been paying closer attention to the old Calcium and Alkalinity. That would probably explain why all the coral looked a bit stressed, too - limited polyp extension, etc. Everything is getting back to being rambunctious again, and the growth really is remarkable. Who woulda thought, huh? :dry:

So, I'm slowly but surely trimming back some of the larger colonies (as you've seen in the Holiday party thread), and plan on continuing for a bit to free up some more room. :)

Keep an eye out for frags - and come to the Holiday Party to get some! :woohoo:

Cheers,
Ray
Ray U
300 gallon Deep Dimension/360 degree walk-around living room reef
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by rgulrich.

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 4 months 3 weeks ago #161638

• Vader
  • Tang
  • Thank you received: 3
Nice build journal, I'll be keeping an eye on how your Korallin works out. Are you happy with the LED lighting?

- Steve
Tankless at the moment

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 4 months 3 weeks ago #161640

• rgulrich
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 64
Hey Steve - Yep, I like the results I've managed with the LEDs so far. I'm not really saving all that much on wattage, mind you. I am, however, saving a bunch on heat. I'm basically running the equivalent of six 250W metal halides in wattage over this aquarium, and there was no way I could move that much heat out, easily or otherwise. :blink: :huh: All that said, I can push nearly 300 PAR :blink: :blink: :blink: on the gravel bed, under about 26-27" of water...all the way to edge of the aquarium. I've toned it down to about 200 PAR at depth now so I can safely grow things at the top of the reef.

There really are some nice LED fixtures out there these days if you'd like. I went the budget and customize route myself, 'cause I'm in this for a hobby and enjoy tinkering around with stuff on occasion :whistle: . I really like the spectrum results I've gotten with my tinkering so far, but might tweak a bit more when I get some time again.

Anytime you'd like to come around on a weekend and poke around the system for a bit let me know.

Cheers,
Ray
Ray U
300 gallon Deep Dimension/360 degree walk-around living room reef

Ray U's 300 DD build - reef redux 4 months 3 weeks ago #161641

• Vader
  • Tang
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been looking at those as well, when my 75 was running, I was using a T-5 fixture with an assortment of colored bulbs and just before I broke down the tank (due to divorce), I purchased two MH fixtures but the heat was too much for it, so I re-installed the T-5 fixture and was saving for a chiller. I ended up selling the live stock for pennies on the dollar but I still have all the tanks, equipment and rock.

Playing with Angie's tank has reminded of the fun I had with this hobby and has motivated me to get my half-basement cleaned up and make ready for a tank......so instead of going back to the 75g, I'm thinking of starting fresh with a 180g (24Hx24Wx72L) but I have these two, still new MH's and do I get a third MH fixture or start off with LED? I have time and in no rush which will give me time to read up on all of this

I'll take you up on your offer, more than likely it will happen after the holidays.

Thanks,
- Steve
Tankless at the moment
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds